Friday, June 10, 2011

BOOK REVIEW - RAYMOND CHANDLER'S FAREWELL, MY LOVELY


Farewell, My LovelyFarewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The New Yorker put it best...


"Chandler wrote as if pain hurt and life mattered."


Chandler's rich prose, his multi-faceted protagonist and often one-dimensional "bad guys" defined a genre... he set a standard that, while many have aspired to, few have met.


I loved the twists and turns in Farewell, My Lovely... from a routine case, Marlowe "steps in it" and finds himself embroiled in murder, a ring of jewel thieves, and more murder.


Through it all, Mr Chandler keeps his character human... he doesn't make him out to be some sort of super-hero.. Marlowe gets cut... he bleeds.  He gets "coshed", he hurts.  But, he keeps getting back up... relentless.


I loved this book immensely and would recommend to anyone.  My favorite line...


"I like smooth shiny girls, hard-boiled and loaded with sin."


Me too, Mr. Marlowe... me too!  *wink*


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know... it's a big pain, isn't it? But, I've got to keep the spam-bots and spiders out... they're always leaving candy wrappers and pop cans laying about; sloppy little buggers!

Thank you.