Thursday, April 18, 2013

VICKI ABELSON’S WRITING CHALLENGE 2 – WHAT SCARES YOU?: "CHRISTIANS"


In Vicki Ableson's second 30 Day Writing Challenge, we are supposed to write about what scares us.  This is going to be an interesting 30 days.  Dr. Kay is back on speed-dial.
~*~
Day 7 of Vicki’s WC2…
Still talking about what scares us, are we? Want to make sure I didn’t miss a memo…
Is “Christianity” the new totalitarianism?
Now, there’s a scary thought!  The pseudo-Christian.
So-called “Christians” have either forsaken or perverted the teachings of Christ to their own will, ‘boot-heeling’ their way through modern, enlightened society in their headlong rush to bring their own brand of “Christianity” to the world.  The current movement is reminiscent of the fascist movements in Italy and Germany in the 1920s and ‘30s.
I’ll take some heat for saying this, I know.  But, I won’t apologize for it.  Does this mean I am ‘anti-Christian’, for saying such a thing?  Absolutely not!  I am… I try to be… a good Christian.  I consider myself a Christian… not a “Christian”.  There is a huge difference between the two, which I’m not going to go into here in great depth because that is not what this post is about.  Suffice it to say this –
A Christian accepts God’s word and follows Christ’s commandments, of which there are only two.  “Love your God with all your heart, soul, body and strength.”  And the second one… “Love your neighbor as you love your God.”
Simple… straight forward… kind of hard to screw up, right?
Apparently not… which is where the “Christian” rears his ugly head.
The “Christian”, for whatever reason, can’t get rid of their own fears, hate and narrow-mindedness and perverts the Word of God to ‘fit in’ with their own prejudices, desires and ‘beliefs’.
The “Christian” believes more in religion than spirituality.   But, aren’t they one and the same, Veronica?
In a word?
No.  To put it very simply; in 25 words or less…
Religion is man’s law… man trying to make God’s word suit man’s purpose.  Spirituality, on the other hand, is more than simply believing in God; but accepting God and desiring a closer relationship with Him.  Having that closer relationship with God… walking with God.
Yes, I know… that is more than 25 words.
The “Christian” says he believes in God.  This is “talking the talk.”
The Christian shows he believes in God.  This is “walking the walk.”
Whether you believe in God or not, do you really want a “Christian” leading you.  Leading your country?
The thought of “Christians” setting national policy, telling me what I can or can’t do… who I can or can’t love… scares me.  I have even had them tell me that God does not love me, because I am a lesbian.  Apparently, God 'told' them that.  But, wait just a minute...
I'm not a biblical scholar, but I am pretty sure that when God says He loves all of His children the same, he means ALL!  I mean, does anyone really believe that God is looking down and says... "love him... love him... love her.  Him?  Eh, not so much.  Her?  Oh, no... not her... uh-uh."
“Christians” are testing my faith.  But I'm not judging them; that's not my place.  It's not the "Christian's" place either, but I'll let God give them the news.
Yes... “Christians” are testing my faith.
My faith though… is stronger than their ‘beliefs’.
Don’t mess with a lesbian who has God on her side!
~finis~
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
17 April 2013
(Writing under a large mushroom, somewhere in the Pacific Northwest)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I know... it's a big pain, isn't it? But, I've got to keep the spam-bots and spiders out... they're always leaving candy wrappers and pop cans laying about; sloppy little buggers!

Thank you.